Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
lpapkin

Post by lpapkin »

We need to get a definitive count on who would want to go on the bus trip we've been discussing. As a reminder, the date would be Saturday, June 28th. As Matt has discussed on a separate post, the cost would be $51 per persson plus some tippage for the driver. That does not include any spending at the breweries for beer and food. Please respond in this post by the end of May so we can see who is still interested. If we have enough people we would need to get the money up front within about one week. As discussed at the last couple of meetings, the club will subsidize $10 of the cost for members only, so your cost would only be $41 for the bus. I haven't had the chance to get all the new members added to my club group list yet, so if you know any of them, please forward to them. I'll get them added in the next day or two, so they will not be left out, but wanted to get this out ASAP. If you posted an answer/reply on the other thread, please duplicate your answer here so I know for sure who is or isn't interested. Sorry for any inconvenience. If we don't have enough people who want to go on the bus we will see what can be done about other means of transportation, ie. renting vans or going in personal cars.

Cheers, Larry
Larry
bkanderson

I vote no bus.

Post by bkanderson »

Larry you sure you want to post your dress size on the website like that. We need to keep that limited to the cross dresser section only. Although, I'm not sure your an 18 either.

I don't think I will go the bus route. We rented a but to go sking in Minneapolis and we tipped $200. That's another $7.00 a person. It wouldn't be much more for me to drive up an stay overnight at the hostel. The hostel is $22.00, gas up and back would be about $50.00. If one person went with me, I would be driving up, staying overnight and drinking as much and as long as I like for $47.00. That's without any club benefits. Sorry to rain on the parade.

I would love to go, but the bus route doesn't feel very economical.
DaveCo

Post by DaveCo »

David Ard did some checking on renting a large 15 person passenger van. Here is what he found:

Budget Rental has a couple of 15 passenger vans still available for June 28 at $95 unlimited mileage. If you want that van, call 319-294-8400.
BrewHound

Post by BrewHound »

I did not realize that we were talking 50 bucks to do the tour. I was thinking closer to 35 bucks a person. With me and the wife going that is 92 just to go drinking for a day. I am still willing to go, if this is the groups end decision; however, I would prefer a cheaper approach as well. even two passenger vans with hired drivers would still be at least $500 dollars cheaper.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I agree. Bus option too expensive. I say we rent a van and/or use personal vehicles. $95/day for the 15 passenger van is pretty good. I may be able to get some type of discount through work as we have a deal with Budget and Avis unless that already includes some special pricing. I could drive, but would still want one beer at each brewery. I think I can handle one beer every three hours. I would prefer if we found other volunteers though.

Bottom line, I am a yes. Lets rent a van or two. How do people feel about the club paying for the rental and gas for the trip? I feel good about it. I may be open to a stay in the hostel too. If we end up with two vehicles, we could have the stay overnight group and a go home group for those that need to get back Saturday night.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
lpapkin

Post by lpapkin »

I agree that the bus might be a bit too expensive, even at a subsidized $41 per person. I know I'll spend another $50-$100 on food and beer too. The van idea sounds good to me. I'd prefer to stay over night if we have an option.
Larry
BrewHound

Post by BrewHound »

If we did it this way (renting 2 buses),
what would the route be? Would will follow the same route as matt laid out?
Where would we be stopping for the night.

This sounds like a real good time. We just need to get the details ironed out as soon as possible.
lpapkin

Post by lpapkin »

I would guess that the route would be the same as the bus. I believe there are several places to stay in the downtown area of Madison. That's our last stop and there are several places to eat and drink in the area that are within walking distance. School is out, so the hotels should have available and inexpensive rooms. Let's see who wants to do what as far as staying or going back and we'll figure something out for those of us who want to stay.
Larry
BrewHound

Post by BrewHound »

I am in for the overnight trip (wife as well).

This sound like a lot of fun!
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I would do an overnight. I would stay at the hostel or my buddy's house. I would suggest same route. Gives us more options to change up as we go though.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
DaveCo

Post by DaveCo »

I am up for an overnight in Madtown.

Dave
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Latest Update:

It looks like we will be renting a passenger van. We may need a second van or personal vehicle depending on the final number of passengers going on the trip. The club should be able to cover the cost of fuel and vehicle rental. That's right, FREE transportation. This trip helps support a part of the homebrew clubs goals which are to get people to learn about and experience good beer. It makes everyone a better beer enthusiast. That means all you have to pay for is food and beer.

There may be two different groups going on the trip. One group that will drive to Madison and back home on Saturday, June 28th. The other will stay in Madison overnight and return home Sunday. This again depends on the number of participants.

On that note, if you haven't already, post if you plan to go on the trip and whether or not you wish to spend the night in Madison. An earlier post gave some suggestions like the hostel downtown which would be my choice.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
tompb

Post by tompb »

I plan on going and staying the night. I haven't got a firm commitment on my son. I will get an answer soon.

I have heard the hostel may not welcome those who have been drinking. Does anyone know for sure?

It should be a good trip!

Tom
JimPotts
Site Admin

Post by JimPotts »

Matt F wrote:There may be two different groups going on the trip.
Or group number three: those of us stuck at a family reunion, which happens to be ~1.5 hours from Madison. Depending on itinerary, I hope to make it to one or two of the stops.

-Jim
karl

Count us in.

Post by karl »

Larry,

Janet and I are planning to go. Put us down for two on the one-day trip.

Thanks,

Karl
Laughing Kitten Brewery