Apple Picking & Cider Pressing

Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
quinton

Post by quinton »

In the Compleat Meadmaker, Ken Schramm says, "You can use pectic enzyme (pectinase) as a good insurance policy against haze when using heat to pasteurize fruit."

Since many of us took the campden tablet route and not the heat pasteurization route, I was wondering if pectic enzyme was necessary.

The BYO article didn't seem to touch on that idea. But I did learn from that article that you can add pectic enzyme at any point after fermentation. I always thought you had to add it before fermentation starts. Good to know.

I don't have much experience with cider, so I am just wondering what empirical evidence someone might be able to bring to the table.
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

Instructions are to add it an hour before pitching yeast. Last year I didn't add pectic enzyme until about a week after fermentation was over and mine cleared up like a champ.

It's incredibly clear now after a year in the carboy, but it was already clearing up nicely a week or so after adding the pectic enzyme last fall.

I don't know about your raw cider but mine is very orange, it looks like pumpkin juice.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

I would certainly not call it essential. I did it because it was recommended to me and I wanted very clear cider. The article that Steven sent mentioned problems with filtering cider and that pectinase solved it. I don't filter so that's not an issue for me. But my cider was very clear from the keg, but it also sat for 9 months or so before I tried it.

On 09/17/12 10:38, quinton wrote:
In the Compleat Meadmaker, Ken Schramm says, "You can use pectic enzyme (pectinase) as a good insurance policy against haze when using heat to pasteurize fruit."

Since many of us took the campden tablet route and not the heat pasteurization route, I was wondering if pectic enzyme was necessary.

The BYO article didn't seem to touch on that idea. But I did learn from that article that you can add pectic enzyme at any point after fermentation. I always thought you had to add it before fermentation starts. Good to know.

I don't have much experience with cider, so I am just wondering what empirical evidence someone might be able to bring to the table.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
tompb

Post by tompb »

I didn't add any pectin enzyme last year and mine cleared fine. I have 4 batches this year and pitched 71b, K1, Coates de Blanc, and Cuvée Premiere. The Cuvée went into the Empire apple batch. We will see what happens.
Runamok Brewing

Jesus must have been a yeast. Who else could turn water into wine?
tony b

Post by tony b »

I have 6 gals going in the primary, with Cote de Blanc. Sulfur aroma off the airlock - Pepe le Pew! Original gravity was 1.049. I put up a 1/2 gal of fresh in the freezer to backsweeten with later. All juice had camden tabs and pectic enzyme added. Planning to split the batch in half, so I can finish them off differently.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Bear

Post by Bear »

my OG is up at 1.074. gonna make me some ass-kicker! ;-)
Draft Tech - Rapids Wholesale
Cicerone© Certified Beer Server
Anheuser-Busch Draft Systems Certified
www.rapidswholesale.com
tompb

Post by tompb »

tony b wrote:I have 6 gals going in the primary, with Cote de Blanc. Sulfur aroma off the airlock - Pepe le Pew! Original gravity was 1.049. I put up a 1/2 gal of fresh in the freezer to backsweeten with later. All juice had camden tabs and pectic enzyme added. Planning to split the batch in half, so I can finish them off differently.

I came home today and thought the sewer backed up! Maybe that will get the kids to move out of the basement.
Runamok Brewing

johnnyik

Post by johnnyik »

I ended up with 10.5 gal. Thanks Tom for the remainder of your apples to top off my fermenter. I added 1lb dark brown sugar to each and the 5.5 gal batch was 1.060, the 5gal batch 1.062. Red Star Cuvee re-hydrated. Pectic enzyme 1 hour before pitching. I did not use pectic enzyme last year and the cider cleared fine. Just wanted to try again this year for shits. Pitched around 10am Sunday morning and tonight they are going crazy! Smell great! Thanks again, Lee!
John Eikenberry
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

My two batches are still bubbling steadily. I took a sample of the main batch this morning. OG is around 1.024 (from 1.050). I'm debating whether to let it go until it's done or try to stop it at around 1.008 so it's not so dry this year. I've got juice saved for back sweetening just in case though. What are others planning to do?
Randy Carris
CMLarrison

Post by CMLarrison »

i am letting mine go till it is finished and cleared. i will back sweeten as i throw it into the keg.
tompb

Post by tompb »

I was going to keg mine today, but it's still finishing. I don't plan on stopping it or back sweetening. Last year mine finished in the .996 range.
Runamok Brewing

quinton

Post by quinton »

And what about the sulfur smell? How long for it to dissipate?

And is the sulfur smell from using campden tablets?

I want to drink my cider now.
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Sulpher smell should go away once the yeast are done fermenting and clean up. However, I wouldn't expect you cider to be very good until several months of conditioning. Some of the reading I've done suggests that unpasteurized cider takes months to reach it's prime, but will stay good for many months. Pasteurized cider, on the other hand, may be ready to drink in a few weeks but gets vinegary with time. Last year I didn't even touch my cider until it was about 8-9 months old. It was probably ready to drink before that but I kind of forgot about it.

On 09/28/12 13:34, quinton wrote:
And what about the sulfur smell? How long for it to dissipate?

And is the sulfur smell from using campden tablets?

I want to drink my cider now.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Randy Carris
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

I've read 2 months minimum after it clears.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Not sure if it is the campden tablets or not. I throw camden tablets (1 per 20 gallons) in to my brewing water. It is the only adjustment I make to CR tap water except a little gypsum in my IPAs.

Definately let it age. I have a 2 year old cider on tap right now that is still clean with no bad flavors. Mine is a mostly flavorless alcoholic beverage which can really sneak up on you.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout