Fermenting Other Things

Way off-topic posts wind up here.
tony b

Fermenting Other Things

Post by tony b »

Steven tutored me in fermenting chile peppers to make hot sauce. Came into a batch of Caribbean Red Habaneros and Ghost Chiles from a neighbor's garden, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Lactic fermentation took about 3 weeks. Base was the fermented chiles, carrots, fresh garlic, kosher salt, and xantham gum. Experimented with 3 different vinegars - rice, white balsamic, and white cider. Here's the final result.
003.JPG
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 958 times
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
kjball

Re: Fermenting Other Things

Post by kjball »

My dad and I did several hot sauces last year. I currently have a fatalii, jalepeno, portugal hot, fermenting on my counter. Of coutse there's garlic, some sugar, and other "super secret (meaning i can't remember)" ingredients.
Bad people drink bad beer. You don't usually see an empty bottle of Rochefort tossed onto the side of the road
tony b

Post by tony b »

Jensen's making some too. We should have a hot sauce tasting some time, if our palates can take that much abuse!
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
JimPotts
Site Admin

Post by JimPotts »

tony b wrote:if our palates can take that much abuse!
I'm more concerned about another part of the anatomy....
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

Fyi. A guy i know is starting a "Cultured club" for lack of a better term. Text details are below.

(Also, on a side note, I am starting a local Cultured Club for fermented food enthusiasts. More on the Kraut, Kombucha, Tempeh and Salume end of the spectrum than the Beer n Wine end. Do you know anyone who may be interested? Am thinking monthly potlucks to gnosh on food, and swap jars and techniques.)

If this sounds like your thing I can pass along his contact info.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF