Grain bins?

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.
Shane

Grain bins?

Post by Shane »

Has anybody seen any large air tight containers big enough for a bag of grain lately? I would like to acquire a couple before we enact our grain buy.
Swilling:
Fermenting:
Secondary: Munich Helles, Rye Wheat, Cherry Melomel
Lagering in fridge: Hanssen's Cherry Kriek
Dry hopping: none
On deck:
czubak

Re: Grain bins?

Post by czubak »

Home goods has vittles vaults cheaper than the pet stores. Unsure if they are cheaper than Amazon. I'm too cheap and use 5 gallon buckets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris Zubak
TappedOut

Post by TappedOut »

You can get a gamma seal lid for a 5 gallon bucket for ~$7 at home depot if you want to get really fancy. A 50-55 # bag of malt fits in two 5 gallon buckets.
whitedj

Post by whitedj »

TappedOut wrote:You can get a gamma seal lid for a 5 gallon bucket for ~$7 at home depot if you want to get really fancy. A 50-55 # bag of malt fits in two 5 gallon buckets.
I even have a few 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids. You can only open and close them a 5 to 10 times before they shatter so I am going over to the gamma lids.

Also websites and forums for preppers have other ideas such as heat sealing 6 gallon bags with a clothing iron... people be weird.
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
czubak

Post by czubak »

I have some of those gasketed lids and they are a mother F*&er to open. I bought a tool fro Joe to help pry them off.

I have read of a lot of people buying from a place called US plastics. Maybe if we look into a bulk buy on at least the gamma lids since buckets are cheap through Home Depot that might get the cost down much less than $7/ea. I will look into it and report back. Chhh over!

Never mind, noting great there price you factor in shipping
$8.17/ea
Qty 8: 5% off; ($7.76)
Qty 16: 10% off; ($7.35)
Qty 48: 15% off; ($6.95)

Sam's Club has a 12 pack for $90 ($7.50/ea)
Chris Zubak
mccullpl

Post by mccullpl »

I've got a few of these: http://www.petsmart.com/dog/storage-sco ... %3Dfaceted

I got them for 1/2 off a little before Christmas, so I'm sure you can get them cheaper. I don't think they'll quite hold 50lbs of grain, but it's close.

Pat
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

http://www.crbeernuts.org/phpBB3/viewto ... f=4&t=2665

These are what I use and I love them. Usually show up at Sam's club in the fall. Hold a sack of grain easy, seal nice and fit perfect under my brewing countertop.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
born2brew

Post by born2brew »

TappedOut wrote:You can get a gamma seal lid for a 5 gallon bucket for ~$7 at home depot if you want to get really fancy. A 50-55 # bag of malt fits in two 5 gallon buckets.
Menards has the food safe buckets and the gamma seal lids also. Pretty much the same price as Home Depot.
Matt Newhouse
Semi professional wrestler and nefarious dude.
Blü Banana Brühaus
I dare you to ask me about my banana...