Want to borrow some equipment for an experiment

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.
Matt F

Want to borrow some equipment for an experiment

Post by Matt F »

I want to test some variables in my hoppy beer brewing process. One is whether or not trub in the fermenter matters if not left in there for more than a couple weeks. That one is easy enough. Going to brew a low IBU Pale Ale and run off the nice clear initial run off to one better bottle and then run the rest including all the trub to another.

The other thing I want to mess with is hop stands and whirlpool chilling. I use an immersion whirlpool chiller now and for hoppy beers I do a hop stand at 200F, then chill with another hop addition once the wort is below 165F. I want to compare this to a 200 F hop stand followed by running through a hop back and then plate chiller (or a counter flow will work).

So what I would like to do is borrow a hop back (like the Blichmann HopRocket) and a plate chiller (like the Blichmann Therminator). Let me know if you have these and are willing to let me borrow for a brew session. If our schedules fit maybe we can do the brew together.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
andrewmaixner

Re: Want to borrow some equipment for an experiment

Post by andrewmaixner »

Maybe I can save you some time on that:
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-gr ... ts-are-in/
http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/22/the-im ... t-results/

I just left both a 10% tripple and a 7% dubbel sitting on full hop/trub for almost 3 months in primaries, though I know those aren't mildly-flavored beers so any theoretical flaws might not show up.
czubak

Post by czubak »

I have a CFC you can borrow if you wish. Not brewing anytime soon so let me know.
Chris Zubak
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I have read both of those before. I usually throw the trub in and don't care and have made a couple good beers. I have found in many homebrew experiments I read online there are way too many variables to just trust results. This one is good but I still like to see how the beer tastes coming from my own system with my own processes. I expect to find similar results. My beer will be a different yeast and a lot more hops. Plus, really requires limited effort on my part.

The motivation for the hop stand experiment is to transition some of my current hopping techniques to a larger professional scale. Batches measured in barrels usually don't us a whirlpool immersion chiller like I do. I know what many of the big boys are doing out there but want to identify what parts of the process do what for hop flavor and aroma. Mostly its a curiosity for me.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
kjball

Post by kjball »

I have a Hop Rocket you can use, I'm hoping to knock out a couple brews soon. What timeframe would you need it?
Bad people drink bad beer. You don't usually see an empty bottle of Rochefort tossed onto the side of the road
czubak

Post by czubak »

Let me know if you want to use my CFC Matt. I won't be using it until mid-October, but I am going to be gone the last part of next week. I can drop it off anytime this weekend.
Chris Zubak
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Thanks fellas. Not sure when I will do this but will PM you when I get a date planned.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

I have a large hop-back if you still want to try it out.
Eric Benda
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Excellent. I am hoping to get on this project in November/December and will be in touch with folks for gear. Thanks guys.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout