Nov 4 - AHA Learn to Homebrew Day

Events around the area.
daryl

Nov 4 - AHA Learn to Homebrew Day

Post by daryl »

Saturday Nov 4 is Learn to Homebrew Day.

AHA sponsors this event as a way to spread the word of homebrewing beer.

Would anyone be interested in transporting equipment and putting on a demonstration of making Homebrew? If so, please respond to this post and I'll see if we can get something organized.

No businesses have been approached with regard to hosting, but those I would consider contacting include: BIY, New Bo, and Lionbridge. All three have a location that could support the space required and might be motivated to host us.

The folks at the C and S Brew Supply are hosting an event, and they are demonstrating extract, robo-brew brewing and all grain (3-tier) brewing techniques during the day. They've coupled it with an Oktoberfest Sale at the brew shop too.

Thoughts? Interest?

Would like to get this setup ASAP if there is support; so that we can register the event with AHA.
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
andrewmaixner

Re: Nov 4 - AHA Learn to Homebrew Day

Post by andrewmaixner »

I'd think that the best location would be the one with the highest exposure to people who like craft beer AND do-it-yourself stuff. Would that be Lionbridge, or Newbo?

I would think that doing it at BIY would only catch people who already brew (or have been exposed to it while getting stuff for wine) -- but regardless of the location we would definitely want some display from BIY set up there, explaining "go there to buy the equipment and recipe kit".

Going to Akeny is not going to get club members, and likely no local benefit at all?
twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

I agree with Andrew that BIY is in a poor location for this kind of event. Obviously Newbo would get the most foot traffic, but Lionbridge would be a good place also. I think for demo purposes that a partial mash and BIAB would be best to show how simple it can be to brew good beer at home, and less equipment needed. This all said, I most likely won't be able to participate as I may still be deer hunting.

Tattoo Travis
daryl

Post by daryl »

andrewmaixner wrote:I'd think that the best location would be the one with the highest exposure to people who like craft beer AND do-it-yourself stuff. Would that be Lionbridge, or Newbo?

I would think that doing it at BIY would only catch people who already brew (or have been exposed to it while getting stuff for wine) -- but regardless of the location we would definitely want some display from BIY set up there, explaining "go there to buy the equipment and recipe kit".

Going to Akeny is not going to get club members, and likely no local benefit at all?
I wasn't suggesting we go to Ankeny. I made the reference only as an example as to what another group is doing in terms of programming.

What I am looking for are volunteers willing to pull their equipment to a local business and to brew....we get one or two volunteers...we'll do the necessary planning and logistics to make the event successful.

But, if there is no interest, then we will consider other events that our members would enjoy.

In terms of location, I think you make a good point as to Lionbridge or Newbo and how that locations would introduce more non-brewers to the craft/hobby. Frankly, I think New Bo would be ideal...good traffic...and New Bo has asked for our participation in other events....but the timing of their events typically conflicted with our event calendar.
In the bucket:
Schwerkraftbrauer

Post by Schwerkraftbrauer »

Travis makes a good point about making it less scary to the non Brewer by doing an extract, partial Mash or biab, doing an all grain at a different location for 6 hours does sound fun but might get over complicated for someone new to it.
Jones County Joel

Grassy Null Brewery
twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

If this is something the club is going to try and participate in, I've got some warrior and cascade hops. I would be glad to donate a few ounces if anybody wants.

Tattoo Travis
karl

Post by karl »

I volunteer to be in on this. Perhaps a simple extract batch with steeping grains would be a nice compliment to a an eBIAB setup as a second demonstration. It's certainly approachable for the beginner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
On Tap at the Laughing-Kitten Pub:
* Foggy Bottom NEIPA
* Gluten Free Stoutish Ale
* Botched Bitter
* Club Barrel Robust Porter (cellar)
On deck/fermenting:
* Belle's Helles (cue AC/DC)
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Karl, if you are interested in doing this, or anyone else, we are considering seeing if NewBo would let us do something there. Let me know if you are interested.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
karl

Post by karl »

I would definitely be interested if there were was a good compliment of club members there, perhaps four or more.

I cannot do it alone because I don't have enough portable equipment. And, it's never fun to do these events alone.

On Tap at the Laughing-Kitten Pub:
* Foggy Bottom NEIPA
* Gluten Free Stoutish Ale
* Botched Bitter
* Club Barrel Robust Porter (cellar)
On deck/fermenting:
* Belle's Helles (cue AC/DC)
wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

I should be able to participate on the 4th of November.
Pat McCusker
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

I think you guys need to set something up. An extract brew or something. Post some pictures on Facebook. Newbo if they let you would be good, probably of any public place that would likely allow you to do it at all that could be the best. Lion's Bridge is okay, but showing EVERYONE who might be interested instead of the bar crowd might be better for getting new people interested in the hobby. (I'm one of those people who only go to public drinking places during club meetings, but I love to brew).

I wonder if the club in Tucson will have something like this scheduled... could be interesting?

Fred
daryl

Post by daryl »

UndeadFred wrote:I wonder if the club in Tucson will have something like this scheduled... could be interesting?
Here ya go.....
HB Day - Tucson.jpg
(106.13 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
In the bucket:
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

Heh. Cool. Thanks. I was actually aware that Mr. Beer originated there, but I will forgive them for that! ;) Muntons owns them now.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
jjpeanasky

Post by jjpeanasky »

karl wrote:I would definitely be interested if there were was a good compliment of club members there, perhaps four or more.

I cannot do it alone because I don't have enough portable equipment. And, it's never fun to do these events alone.

I will be out of town, but I have a semi-portable set-up if someone wants to borrow it. Gas burner with a 7gal kettle, perfect for 3gal BIAB batches. Or extract.

- Josh Peanasky
daryl

Post by daryl »

It looks like we have 1 or 2 volunteers, so I talked with Stephen and he gave me a contact down at NewBo.

I have a voicemail into them to see if they would like to host us on Saturday, November 4; and the facilities we will have access to.

I will update here as soon as I have specific information.
In the bucket: