Re: Nov 4 - AHA Learn to Homebrew Day

Post by Schwerkraftbrauer »

Any updates on where to park or unload for this thing today
Jones County Joel

Grassy Null Brewery
daryl

Post by daryl »

As you approach the market, we will be under the overhang, on the left side.

Get there early enough, and you could back in close to that area and unload.

I plan on doing that, and then I might park elsewhere.

I should be down there just past 9...probably around 9:15, with the propane.
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
karl

Post by karl »

The car won't start. Can someone pick me and my brew gear up?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
On Tap at the Laughing-Kitten Pub:
* Foggy Bottom NEIPA
* Gluten Free Stoutish Ale
* Botched Bitter
* Club Barrel Robust Porter (cellar)
On deck/fermenting:
* Belle's Helles (cue AC/DC)
karl

Post by karl »

Just got it going. Bad battery.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
On Tap at the Laughing-Kitten Pub:
* Foggy Bottom NEIPA
* Gluten Free Stoutish Ale
* Botched Bitter
* Club Barrel Robust Porter (cellar)
On deck/fermenting:
* Belle's Helles (cue AC/DC)
tony b

Post by tony b »

Despite the less than optimal weather and the fire alarm going off inside the Market (not caused by us!!), it turned out to be a good day for the Beer Nuts. We had a few folks that were very interested in learning about beer brewing. Met a nice lady, who's a brewer, who we hope to see again at the next LBB Happy Hour (she has a conflict on Thursdays so coming to meetings will be out for a while.) We poured a good amount of beer/cider/mead. Hats off to our brewers for putting on a good show.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
whitedj

Post by whitedj »

Our price point on the glasses are $1.70 ea considering the shipping and printing.
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

tony b wrote:Despite the less than optimal weather and the fire alarm going off inside the Market (not caused by us!!), it turned out to be a good day for the Beer Nuts. We had a few folks that were very interested in learning about beer brewing. Met a nice lady, who's a brewer, who we hope to see again at the next LBB Happy Hour (she has a conflict on Thursdays so coming to meetings will be out for a while.) We poured a good amount of beer/cider/mead. Hats off to our brewers for putting on a good show.
Nice. I showed up near the end to the Tucson Homebrew Club, and the only guy they were teaching was a snowbird from.... Yup... Iowa. It was at the headquarters of Mr. Beer in (BF Catalina Hills $$$) Tucson and the brew master there was quite cool and also quite accomplished. Along with the other club members he took me back to the break room where three active keezers were with a 50# tank running them. I sampled plenty of beer and got a really large discount on what I bought from them too (they have a decent on site homebrew shop, with really cheap ingredients, equipment was fairly priced). So you all know that I miss you already but the beer scene here... Well... Is a bit bigger than Iowa. At least that part of the whole bunch of no fun cross country moving is okay.. And the weather was bad for Tucson today. It was only partly sunny and 82°F. ;)

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

UndeadFred wrote: And the weather was bad for Tucson today. It was only partly sunny and 82°F.
Don't worry, it will hit 115 before you know it.
Pat McCusker
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

wyzzyrdd wrote:
UndeadFred wrote: And the weather was bad for Tucson today. It was only partly sunny and 82°F.
Don't worry, it will hit 115 before you know it.
One of the nicer things about Tucson versus Phoenix is that generally it's about 7 to 10 degrees cooler here. Not to say that they don't, on occasion, get up to 115°F but it is a lot less frequent. Uncle Rocky stationed me in Scottsdale for the better part of the whole summer of 2010 working with the very passive aggressive General Dynamics and I made it through a week of 110°F plus. 117 on my last day, but the day I left it hit 121. Above about 105, the wet bulb temperature becomes greater than 98.7°F and then it does not matter if it is a dry heat. So you lose about two and a half months to the heat instead of 5.5 months to the cold. And, also on a 105°F day at about 9 PM it's in the lower 90s, so you can wait to entertain until later. I can live with that. Honestly a big part of the decision to come out here is that I am burned out of winters. The other was 35% better pay.

wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

During the 2nd or 3rd year I was in Phoenix, they had the first 100 degree day about 6 weeks early (I think it was the first week of March). That year they had 180 days above 100 degrees; 150 days above 105 degrees; and 120 days above 110. Ouch.
Pat McCusker
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

wyzzyrdd wrote:During the 2nd or 3rd year I was in Phoenix, they had the first 100 degree day about 6 weeks early (I think it was the first week of March). That year they had 180 days above 100 degrees; 150 days above 105 degrees; and 120 days above 110. Ouch.
Yeah. Well in Coggon a couple of years back it hit at the fire station (an official NWS site) -40°F. Not wind chill, but temperature. So what is more fatal? Who knows. I actually had an engineer ask me Celsius or Fahrenheit once when I told that story! Yes! Was the answer.

daryl

Post by daryl »

I think last Saturday went rather well, with thanks to the following participants:

Our brewers.....
Stephen Prochaska - brought out his monster, three tier system and brewed up a holiday ale.
Karl Hoech - set-up a traditional all-grain brew system and whipped up a batch of Laughing Kitten Brewery Brown
Joel Null - set-up his brew in a bag system and brewed up a batch of Spotted Cow Clone called Sticky Feet; which he did have when he expertly demonstrated the effects of a boil-over - hence the name
Pat "where's my necktie" McCusker - Pat had samples of Mead for all of the attendees, as well as tasting of honey, providing kegs to pour at our tasting station, and he brewed up a batch of Lemon Mead too.

Tony Browning for bringing examples of malt and hops for people to see, taste, and smell; and assisting with crowd management when the fire alarm went off; and for providing beer to share.

"Tattoo" Travis Kasper for setting up and hosting the tasting station.

Mark Jensen for bringing the tap box and Beer Nuts swat....we sold a total of $26 in merchandise.

Randy Carris for providing beers and assisting with the tasting station and visiting with our guests.

And to Brian Hall, Eric Benda, and Matt Franklin for coming down and assisting with set-up and providing support throughout the event.

This was a really good group effort folks. I really appreciate you spending a good part of your Saturday to share our craft with folks and participate in this World-Wide event.

The folks at NewBo seemed pleased with our event; I wouldn't be surprised if they invite us back for next year. And, having done this once, I think we should seriously consider doing it again next year.

Thanks again everyone.

D
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

That was a great event and I hope we get to do it again.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout