Big Grove Wort Rally and Pour Event

Events around the area.
carrisr
Site Admin

Re: Big Grove Wort Rally and Pour Event

Post by carrisr »

Just in from Big Grove: you will be responsible for providing your own method of serving, including wort rally beers. Kegs, bottles, growlers are welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
tony b

Post by tony b »

Got it! Just entered my beer into the App. Planning on just bringing the keg. I can either pour directly (like at Happy Hour) or will there be room on the tap box?
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

We currently plan to bring just the 6 tap box. If you guys want we could grab the jockey box too for 7 more taps. Someone will have to commit to hauling it, getting it from the trailer, and making sure it is clean and functional. I am already taking care of the 6 tap. I could probably grab the jockey box and get it ready if someone is wanting to haul it down. Not sure I have room for both.

We need people to list their beers on our app so we can get a count of what will be there. Without information we have no idea how many people we can put on the club taps. I am guessing we could fill the 13 but the rest will be on their own.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
jjpeanasky

Post by jjpeanasky »

I should have room to haul the jockey box. I also have a table I can bring for that, or does it have its own table?

I will also have a few disconnect-to-faucet adapters that I'm bringing down.

-Josh Peanasky

- Josh Peanasky
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Do not have a table for jockey box so that would be good to bring too.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
Shanef

Post by Shanef »

I'll have my wort rally lager.
tony b

Post by tony b »

Beer Nuts bringing it once again!!!

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

If need be. I will bring my own method of dispensing.
Eric Benda
jjpeanasky

Post by jjpeanasky »

We'll have the table top tap and I'm bringing the club jockey box along with 3 of the disconnect faucet adapters.

- Josh Peanasky
jjpeanasky

Post by jjpeanasky »

Latest event update!

Details for tomorrow's event. They have a total of 24 homebrewers down as attending counting 11 attending from the Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts club, 7 from Thirsty, and 6 homebrewers with no club affiliation.

Regarding the awards, the attendees will be voting on their favorite beers with a special award going to the wort challenge winner. In future events they'd like an official panel of judges, but with so many moving parts of a new event they wanted to keep this as simple as possible. The categories are below (with a film-twist).

Other notes:
• Once again, load-in begins at 2pm and there will be a homebrew share until the event begins at 4pm.
• There will be signs for each brewer to write in their name and the beers that they will be serving.
• The event glasses arrived this week and have the FilmScene/Big Grove mashup logo on them.
• There will be brewery tours offered during the event.
• Big Grove said they will try to have some snacks available during the event. There was talk of freshly made pretzels.
If you have any additional questions about tomorrow's event, let us know!

Wort Challenge Only
Best Original Wortplay (Best in Show): All of the wort challenge beers started with Arms Race wort (unfermented liquid malt). It was up to the participating brewers to add more malt, hops, adjuncts and their choice of yeast. Your job is to judge the best one on taste and creativity. Winner of this award gets a special prize!

Tasting (All Beers)
Best Animated Pitcher (Best Hoppy Beer): This award goes to the brewer that designed the best animated display of hops and put them in motion with a burst of a citrusy, piney, floral flavors.
o Typical Styles: Think American IPAs and Pale Ales.

Best Foam Design (Best Malty Beer): This award goes to the brewer who carefully fermented a malt-forward brew. This style puts the hops in the backseat and lets the malt shine -- typically known to have hints of biscuit, caramel, or chocolate.
o Typical Styles: Stouts, Porters, Amber Ales, Pilsners, Brown Ales

Best Foreign Pitcher (Most Unusual Concoction): This award goes to the brewer who created any fermented beverage that used an ingredient or technique that may be outside of your comfort zone. If this brew were a film, it would most likely be playing at FilmScene.
o Typical Styles: Examples: brewed with spices, aged in a barrel, soured, fruited, etc.

Best Makeup and Beerstyling (Best Sessionable/Drinkable): This award goes to the brewer who styled a smooth beverage that you wouldn’t mind drinking in a responsible manner all day long.
o Typical Styles: Lagers, English Bitter or Mild, Session IPAs
tony b

Post by tony b »

OK, seeing the judging categories include beers other than the wort rally, I'll be bringing my Double Mocha Latte Stout to pour. I'll put it into the app.

daryl

Post by daryl »

Some friends posted some pictures of the event, mostly of the Beer Nuts.

How was it and did any of our members get recognized in the judging?

Good job Nuts....looks like it was a fun event. And a big thanks to Josh for taking point on organizing this.
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
tony b

Post by tony b »

Franklin won for his Liquid Weed IPA. I had fun pouring it, as I made everyone ask - "Dude, I want some weed!"

Was a fun event. All the beers were good and some very good. All the winners were very good and interesting beers. Another great showing by the brew club fka Beer Nuts.

tony b

Post by tony b »

Do we have pictures of the event to post?

twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

tony b wrote:Do we have pictures of the event to post?
I think I saw Matt taking some pictures, Filmscene took good pics from the event. On their Facebook page

Tattoo Travis