AHA Big Brew 2021

Events around the area.
laloeb

AHA Big Brew 2021

Post by laloeb »

Join the 24th annual Big Brew on May 1, 2021
Held on the first Saturday in May, Big Brew for National Homebrew Day is an opportunity to fire up the kettle and raise a glass to the greatest hobby there is— homebrewing!
The following link has the two official Big Brew Day recipes: Janet's Brown Ale and Star Gazer Double IPA. The club could also go a different route. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... ebrew-day/

I reached out to Eric Miller at Black Gold Malt Farms, which I think has been rebranded to Miller Malting Co. When I talked to him in February, he was in the middle of rebranding and retooling his facility, so I'll see what malts he plans to have on hand in April. Once we have an idea, I'd like to settle on a recipe or two for the event, and then see if we can brew on the patio of one of the downtown CR breweries. Let me know if you have suggestions. If not, stay tuned for updates.

Logan
Logan Loeb
daryl

Re: AHA Big Brew 2021

Post by daryl »

Here are the two recipes AHA has recommended for Big Brew Day. And, they are only recommendations. Although the IPA looks interesting, I might just give it go.

What is most important is to brew and to have fun doing it; and you can brew what you like.

Cheers,
D
BigBrew21-Janets-Brown-Ale-Recipe.pdf
(157.14 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
BigBrew21-Star-Gazer-Hazy-Double-IPA.pdf
(141.69 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

That's an odd combination of hops for that hazy ipa. I'd almost want to sample somebody elses before I used that combo on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andrewmaixner

Post by andrewmaixner »

twiggy2164 wrote:That's an odd combination of hops for that hazy ipa. I'd almost want to sample somebody elses before I used that combo on my own.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had to go look since you commented, I was thinking how odd could it possibly be? Well you are definitely right LOL.
And a kolch or German ale yeast instead of an american hazy ipa yeast, which are available dry and liquid all over the place?!
daryl

Post by daryl »

The mint aspect of Polaris seemed a bit off, but More Beer did have their own take on it.

These are two excerpts from More Brew.....https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

Polaris Hops
This German varietal is a 2012 product of the Hull Hop Institute best known for its incredibly high alpha status. Still in an experimental phase, Polaris has shown to be a dual purpose brewing ingredient, with aromas of spice, pine, and mint that rival its intense bittering power. With an alpha acid content ranging from about 18% to upwards of 22%, Polaris makes an excellent addition to Bitters, ESBs, Pale Ales, and IPAs. Due to its uniquely minty aroma and super high alpha acids, you can’t really substitute Polaris hops and get the same result. Taste how this varietal works in craft brews like Polaris Pale Ale from Trillium Brewing Company.

Polaris is one of the new hops from Hüll in Germany. It is known for being a monster in the Alpha Acid department at levels sometimes exceeding 20%. It also has a super high oil content meaning it is a pungent hop. Said to have some fruit flavor, the most common reported flavor is spicy mint. The mint flavor is best described like the flavor in a glacier mint candy. You may think twice about a mint flavor in your beer, but feedback is the mintiness is not overwheming or a negative and actually adds depth. We would love to hear your thoughts.

Format Pellet
Origin German
Flavor and Aroma Floral
Alpha Acids High
Use Aroma/Flavor

ZAMBA
Brew with these hops and you might find your hips swaying even without any music to move to. Zamba™ is the first proprietary release in the BSG Hop Solutions Program, named for the overwhelming tropical dance explosion its aroma evokes. Complex aroma characterized by juicy tropical fruits (pineapple, mango), stone fruits, candy, and orange tangerine.

Highly recommended as a late kettle addition or dry hop for big juicy and hazy IPAs, or any other hop-forward ale or lager.

Hop Statistics
Alpha Acids: 8.0 – 12.0%
Beta Acids: 4.0 – 6.0%
Alpha-Beta Ratio: 1.3 - 3.0
Cohumulone: (% of alpha acids): 28 – 32%
Total Oils in mls per 100 grams dried: 1.2 – 1.6

Zamba™ is a trademark owned Brewers Supply Group, Inc.

Format Pellet
Origin American
Flavor and Aroma Tropical, Tangerine, Stone Fruit
Alpha Acids Average
Use Aroma/Flavor

From Northern Brewer...https://www.northernbrewer.com/products ... ops-pellet
Zamba
Zamba™ formerly known as Samba hop blend boasts remarkably juicy tropical fruits (pineapple, mango), stone fruits, candy, and orange tangerine.

The Zamba™ Hop Blend has a complex aroma characterized by juicy pineapple and mango with bursts of stone fruits, and tangerine.

Brewing Application
Zamba™ is perfect for late kettle and dry hop additions for big juicy and hazy IPAs, or any other hop-forward ale or lager. Early brewing trials showed the fruity character exhibited in sensory carried through into the finished product.

Flavor Profile: Tropical, Tangerine, Stone Fruit
Beer Style Recommendations: Hazy IPA, IPAs, Pale Ale, Session IPA
Usage: Aroma, Late Kettle Addition
Zamba™ Hop Statistics:
Alpha Acid: 8.0-12.0%
Beta Acid: 4.0-6.0%
Co-Humulone as % of Alpha: 28-32%
Total Oil mL/100g: 1.2-1.6
Myrcene: 60 - 70%
Humulene: 9 - 13%
Caryophyllene: 5 - 8%
Farnesene: 1 - 4%
In the bucket:
laloeb

Post by laloeb »

Clock House is having a new release on Saturday, May 1st, but Todd has graciously welcomed us to host the Big Brew Day on Sunday, May 2nd. That should still satisfy the spirit of the event.

We are looking for brewers to participate in the event. Todd said he can open things up early for us at 10:00 am, which should let us wrap up by 4:00 pm. There is a faucet outside and a nearby outlet with a heavy duty extension cord.
I can bring a rectangular, plastic folding table and a 50' hose for chilling and clean-up. I suggest brewers bring everything they need for a successful brew day, including equipment, ingredients, water (if preferred), and chair.

I'd encourage everyone with a portable setup to come out and enjoy not only the Big Brew, but also a smaller beer release along with a good chance of a food truck (I forgot to ask Todd what kind). Please post below if you're planning to attend and note whether or not you'll be brewing or just there in support.
Logan Loeb
rmstevens

Post by rmstevens »

I won't be able to bring my system but plan on attending for at least a couple of hours.
Ryan Stevens
diveshlakhi

Post by diveshlakhi »

rmstevens wrote:I won't be able to bring my system but plan on attending for at least a couple of hours.
Same. I'll come hang out for a couple of hours.
daryl

Post by daryl »

I'll brew.

Looks like the weather is going to be nice; I get to brew at a brewery; and drink brewery beer; and hang out with other folks who like beer?.....how can I pass that up?

I just hope I remember to grind my grain before I leave home. :roll:
In the bucket:
tony b

Post by tony b »

Nice that Todd is opening up for us, given that they are normally closed on Sundays - or is May 2nd the official start of "summer hours?" Is it OK to bring beers to share? I hope to have 2 new ones tapped by then.

Good chance that I'll show up. Thinking about bringing the PINTER setup just to show it off. Won't likely "brew" in it, as it takes a whopping 15 minutes - from sanitization to pitch. So, not much to demonstrate other than the shear simplicity of it.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

I'm going to attempt to bring my system and brew.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
daryl

Post by daryl »

carrisr wrote:I'm going to attempt to bring my system and brew.

Any idea what the current draw is for the mash....or boil, that might be a bit more.
In the bucket:
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Runs on a 120v/15 circuit.

Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
laloeb

Post by laloeb »

That should be fine. It will need to run on an extension cord, but Todd said he will provide a heavy duty one.
Logan Loeb
laloeb

Post by laloeb »

Todd confirmed the food truck for Sunday. It's Caribbean, so bring your appetites! Is anyone else planning to brew that day? The forecast is mainly cloudy with a high of 82F and no rain until evening.
Just a heads up, anyone brewing or hanging out near the brewers will have to sign a waiver, so that Clock House isn't held liable if someone gets hurt during the event.
Logan Loeb