Brewer Recruitment - Barrel-Aged Jan 2023 - Flanders Red

Events around the area.
mjhora

Re: Brewer Recruitment - Barrel-Aged Jan 2023 - Flanders Red

Post by mjhora »

mjhora wrote:I was at Opus for my daughter on Thursday so I missed the meeting. Also I got a new phone recently and didn’t have Tapatalk installed yet. All that is my fault.

Of course, I’m in for a big bag and making flander’s red. The barrel can still stay at my house. I can brew extra if needed for top off.

Who has the kits now? I’ll need to arrange a pick up.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjhora

Post by mjhora »

A report on the RIS. I opened it for the first time since September. I’ve got some headspace that I don’t have beer to refill with anymore. I propose I will buy some beer similar to old Rasputin and top it off.

Sample: it is starting to have a slight amount of sour funk in the flavor profile. Very faint, but it is there.

Point is, I’m not opposed to brewing the Flanders immediately and pulling the RIS in December in order to preserve the RIS integrity.

twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

if it's starting to get some funk/sour to it we should probably consider moving the beer ASAP.

twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

I'll offer up the grains I got from Pat for the Flanders Red if anybody wants it. Not knowing what kind of infection got into the barrel I won't be participating. I have a big kit and a small kit up for grabs. Grains are milled.

wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

A quick does of potassium sulfite may kill off whatever is in the barrel.
Pat McCusker
mjhora

Post by mjhora »

twiggy2164 wrote:I'll offer up the grains I got from Pat for the Flanders Red if anybody wants it. Not knowing what kind of infection got into the barrel I won't be participating. I have a big kit and a small kit up for grabs. Grains are milled.

Travis, I didn’t mean to scare anyone off. It is a very mild flavor. RIS still tastes fine. I’ll take Pat’s advice and grab some potassium sulfite to preserve the RIS and Barrel.

mjhora

Post by mjhora »

wyzzyrdd wrote:A quick does of potassium sulfite may kill off whatever is in the barrel.
Sure, I will get some. I don’t think the issue would prevent us from doing the Flanders red.

twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

What's everybody's thoughts on getting the RIS out of the barrel ASAP and getting the Flanders in it? Even with a dose of potassium sulfite I think that beer needs to get out soon in case the PS doesn't kill off the infection.

mjhora

Post by mjhora »

twiggy2164 wrote:What's everybody's thoughts on getting the RIS out of the barrel ASAP and getting the Flanders in it? Even with a dose of potassium sulfite I think that beer needs to get out soon in case the PS doesn't kill off the infection.

I’m in. I just need Darryl’s pump and Ryan’s long racking cane. I have 6 empty kegs, so I don’t need everyone here to get the beer out.

diveshlakhi

Post by diveshlakhi »

I agree. Let's get the beer into kegs asap after dosing with Potassium Metabisulfite.
Schwerkraftbrauer

Post by Schwerkraftbrauer »

I will donate my portion of the stout to the club, to whomsoever wants it, or the drain.

If it has some funk/ sourness starting unfortunately I'm not interested in trying to package it. I already have a "sour" destined keg, that already has a sour stout in it, and don't want a second.
Jones County Joel

Grassy Null Brewery
karl

Post by karl »

Concur with getting the RIS out ASAP. That way we can enjoy it at Christmas too.

Since I'm one of the contributors, I can bring a keg out to you on Black Friday sometime.
On Tap at the Laughing-Kitten Pub:
* Foggy Bottom NEIPA
* Gluten Free Stoutish Ale
* Botched Bitter
* Club Barrel Robust Porter (cellar)
On deck/fermenting:
* Belle's Helles (cue AC/DC)
mjhora

Post by mjhora »

karl wrote:Concur with getting the RIS out ASAP. That way we can enjoy it at Christmas too.

Since I'm one of the contributors, I can bring a keg out to you on Black Friday sometime.
Ok. I will call Daryl tomorrow to see if I can borrow the pump Friday or Saturday. I think I can get a 7th keg empty and clean that I have. I’ll probably empty the barrel Saturday or Sunday depending on when we can get enough kegs lined up. I’ll have 35 gal worth.

karl

Post by karl »

I’ll just drop it off if you’re not ready to transfer. I can easily pick up at a later date to make it convenient for you.

Karl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On Tap at the Laughing-Kitten Pub:
* Foggy Bottom NEIPA
* Gluten Free Stoutish Ale
* Botched Bitter
* Club Barrel Robust Porter (cellar)
On deck/fermenting:
* Belle's Helles (cue AC/DC)
rmstevens

Post by rmstevens »

I have family in town so won’t be able to stay and help, but could drop off a keg and racking cane anytime today or this weekend if we’re wanting to transfer out the RIS soon
Ryan Stevens