Brewer Recruitment - Barrel-Aged Jan 2023 - Flanders Red

Events around the area.
mjhora

Re: Brewer Recruitment - Barrel-Aged Jan 2023 - Flanders Red

Post by mjhora »

karl wrote:I’ll just drop it off if you’re not ready to transfer. I can easily pick up at a later date to make it convenient for you.

Karl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll be around all afternoon Friday for a drop off Karl if that’s what you want to do. I’ll fill it as soon as I get Daryl’s pump. Probably Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjhora

Post by mjhora »

rmstevens wrote:I have family in town so won’t be able to stay and help, but could drop off a keg and racking cane anytime today or this weekend if we’re wanting to transfer out the RIS soon
Whichever works best for you Ryan for a drop off. I’ll do a full Saturday if I get ahold of Daryl’s pump.

mjhora

Brewer Recruitment - Barrel-Aged Jan 2023 - Flanders Red

Post by mjhora »

After the RIS with potassium metabisulfite is empty, I’m going to rinse and burn a sulfur stick in the barrel to sterilize the barrel completely. Then do a triple rinse. This is a practice for reusing wine barrels. The barrel will then be ready for Flanders at any point afterwards. I can burn another sulfur stick and rinse the day before we load in Flanders red.

twiggy2164

Post by twiggy2164 »

mjhora wrote:After the RIS with potassium metabisulfite is empty, I’m going to rinse and burn a sulfur stick in the barrel to sterilize the barrel completely. Then do a triple rinse. This is a practice for reusing wine barrels. The barrel will then be ready for Flanders at any point afterwards. I can burn another sulfur stick and rinse the day before we load in Flanders red.

That sounds like a great plan of attack. I'd say everybody contributing, I'll have 6-7 gallons, try get get ur batches going soon so we can get the Flanders in the barrel.

mjhora

Post by mjhora »

I emptied the RIS out of the barrel Sunday. I filled 2 half barrels and the rest in corny kegs. Karl and Ryan each have a Corny to pick up. Daryl, I only filled your 2.5 gal for now at your request. The other corny is empty yet. I filled (2) other corny kegs I had. CO2 on all.

Barrel was rinsed and emptied about 6 times to flush out residual beer solids and char debris. Sulfur stick was burned inside barrel to sterilize and preserve barrel. Worked well. Bunged and taped bung to hold in SO2 long term. All good until we are ready to fill Flanders in January.

I chilled and carbed up my corny. Potassium metabisulfite seemed to do the trick. The RIS tastes good. We made the right choices.

The RIS is safe in storage if you don’t want to pick up in December. If RIS brewers want to pick it up, let me know and I’ll fill your washed corny from my half barrels in Dec. otherwise you can get it in January when you fill Flanders and we can wash and refill your drop off keg with RIS. Let me know.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thanks Mike, I’ll come out and get mine this month sometime. I’m busy for the next week or two but will send you a message and find a time that works for both of us. Looking forward to trying it.

diveshlakhi

Post by diveshlakhi »

Thanks Mike! That sounds like a lot of work. Well done!!

I'll let you know soon about getting a keg filled with the RIS. Thank you.
mccullpl

Post by mccullpl »

FINALLY reading the thread. Sounds like you're cool with just waiting until the Flanders drop off to get my keg filled with RIS? If you want, I can come over sooner for the RIS.

Pat
mjhora

Post by mjhora »

mccullpl wrote:FINALLY reading the thread. Sounds like you're cool with just waiting until the Flanders drop off to get my keg filled with RIS? If you want, I can come over sooner for the RIS.

Pat
Whatever works for you. RIS is safely stored in 1/2 barrels.

rmstevens

Post by rmstevens »

Has everyone finished brewing the Flanders? Should we setup a time to refill the barrel soon?
Ryan Stevens
mccullpl

Post by mccullpl »

Mine's done.

Pat
laloeb

Post by laloeb »

Andrew's and mine is done.
Logan Loeb
diveshlakhi

Post by diveshlakhi »

Mine is done as well. It's still in the fermenter need to transfer to the keg.
mjhora

Post by mjhora »

Mine is getting brewed today. Mine can go in the barrel at the end after everyone else’s. We could fill the barrel Sunday, Jan 16, or Sat Jan 22. Those days work for me.

mccullpl

Post by mccullpl »

Either day works for me.

Pat