Filtering Steps

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.
whitedj

Re: Filtering Steps

Post by whitedj »

DrPaulsen wrote:After going back and forth for about six months, the guy from AIH eventually quit and moved on before he ever got around to tasting the beers. His replacement sent me a note apologizing for their lack of response and gave me a gift card covering the cost of the filters, the bottle shipping fees, and an extra $10 for my trouble (apparently that's the value of a batch of homebrew). He tasted the beer but said he couldn't taste the dryer sheet flavor. I appreciate the gesture of a gift card refund, but will not be buying filters from them again. At this point, the only brand I have had good luck with is sold by Williams Brewing. I re-brewed the Helles and filtered it with new filter pads. This batch does not taste like dryer sheets. The off flavor in the original keg was still there six months later so I just dumped it.
I think your bad beers are on par with my good ones.

Have you tried my prison wine? ... coming soon to Benz Fest 2017!
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Dan's Prison Wine: the gift that keeps on giving!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

DrPaulsen wrote:After going back and forth for about six months, the guy from AIH eventually quit and moved on before he ever got around to tasting the beers. His replacement sent me a note apologizing for their lack of response and gave me a gift card covering the cost of the filters, the bottle shipping fees, and an extra $10 for my trouble (apparently that's the value of a batch of homebrew). He tasted the beer but said he couldn't taste the dryer sheet flavor. I appreciate the gesture of a gift card refund, but will not be buying filters from them again. At this point, the only brand I have had good luck with is sold by Williams Brewing. I re-brewed the Helles and filtered it with new filter pads. This batch does not taste like dryer sheets. The off flavor in the original keg was still there six months later so I just dumped it.
I would imagine dryer sheets are quite a bit less expensive than AIH filter pads? ;)

I couldn't help it. Sorry.. it's been that sort of week. AIH is an interesting place to buy stuff from. What they are good for they are great, and the rest... well... not so much. They are, for example the only place I bought kegs from that didn't even rinse them out with a hose first. They state that, so do the other places, but the other places kegs were pretty clean, and in all cases I had multiple poppets be bad and leak, so in the end those were not as cheap as you'd think... usually their shipping makes buying from them a problem, too.

Fred
daryl

Post by daryl »

We'll need to assign it a vintage next year.
carrisr wrote:Dan's Prison Wine: the gift that keeps on giving!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA