Apple Picking & Cider Pressing

Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
tony b

Post by tony b »

I got 6 1/2 gals, with probably another gallon for the community bucket, as I had more crush than I needed (just like last year, you'd think I'd have learned better!).
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
tony b

Post by tony b »

Looked for photos and it couldn't find a page named CR Beernuts. I even tried CR Beer Nuts and nothing????

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
mjensen52402

Post by mjensen52402 »

Try this link.  I am learning I cannot run the universe from my phone.

http://crbeernuts.shutterfly.com/

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM, tony b <brew-members@crbeernuts.org (brew-members@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
Looked for photos and it couldn't find a page named CR Beernuts. I even tried CR Beer Nuts and nothing????

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! Ben Franklin

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
tony b

Post by tony b »

Link works, but what a giant pain in the ass! First you have to sign up for shutterfly, then you need to ask the "owner" to let you join the page, all so you can look at club pix? Just upload them to this website next time! I bet you can even do it from your phone!

Bear

Post by Bear »

i picked four 5gal buckets worth and got about just shy of 6.75gal. i'm trying a different method with mine. i put 2gal on to boil and reduced it by half, then added it to the remaining 4. ( i drank the other 3qts 8-D ) i'm gonna add 2lbs dark brown sugar and keep an eye on it so i can cut the ferment about 1.010.

thanks again for letting us at your apples lee!!
Draft Tech - Rapids Wholesale
Cicerone© Certified Beer Server
Anheuser-Busch Draft Systems Certified
www.rapidswholesale.com
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

I think I wound up with 11 gallons (5 were from the "community bucket").

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in yesterday. I'm really impressed with the number of apples you picked off the trees this year.

Was there anyone who picked apples, but didn't get a chance to crush & press? If so, please IM me and we'll work something out.

There were a few buckets, a dog dish, and a growler left behind. If they belong to you & you want them back, send me an IM.
tompb

Post by tompb »

Thanks for having us out again Lee. I ended up with 16+ gallons. I could have done another 5.
Runamok Brewing

Jesus must have been a yeast. Who else could turn water into wine?
Bear

Post by Bear »

i had 2 theisen's buckets that were MIA when i left. i figured someone else needed them worse than i did. i'm not super concerned about them though.
Draft Tech - Rapids Wholesale
Cicerone© Certified Beer Server
Anheuser-Busch Draft Systems Certified
www.rapidswholesale.com
quinton

Post by quinton »

Thanks for having us Lee. I am excited to have some hard cider on tap.
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Yes, thanks so much to the Paulsen's for having us out and sharing your apples. I ended up taking 2.5 gallons of my excess juice and trying an experiment with it. I added some D-90 candi syrup and pitched a Trappist yeast. If it turns out too weird it's no big loss.

On that note, did anyone add sugars to boost the gravity? My juice came in around 1.043, which I felt was a little too low. For my main batch I added a pound of corn sugar to bring it up to around 1.050. I pitched S-04 as the yeast for my main batch. I did some reading at homebrewtalk.com and a guy there said he gets nice results from it. We'll see.

On 09/17/12 09:24, quinton wrote:
Thanks for having us Lee. I am excited to have some hard cider on tap.

Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

My haul was unusually sweet this year. 1.056 so I didn't add any add'l sugar. I had some sucanat ready to go to boost the grav if it was too low.

I pitched with 1 pack rehydrated Lalvin 1116 wine yeast, nutrient and booster and it's going strong. Added Pectinase prior to the pitch.

Mine's not throwing sulfur like the Cote des Blancs did last year. I don't know if that's good or bad?
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
mjensen52402

Post by mjensen52402 »

I added light brown sugar to get to 1060. Two different wine yeasts Cuvee Rene, Cote de Blanc. On Sep 17, 2012 9:37 AM, "carrisr" <brew-members@crbeernuts.org (brew-members@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
Yes, thanks so much to the Paulsen's for having us out and sharing your apples. I ended up taking 2.5 gallons of my excess juice and trying an experiment with it. I added some D-90 candi syrup and pitched a Trappist yeast. If it turns out too weird it's no big loss.

On that note, did anyone add sugars to boost the gravity? My juice came in around 1.043, which I felt was a little too low. For my main batch I added a pound of corn sugar to bring it up to around 1.050. I pitched S-04 as the yeast for my main batch. I did some reading at homebrewtalk.com and a guy there said he gets nice results from it. We'll see.

On 09/17/12 09:24, quinton wrote: : Thanks for having us Lee. I am excited to have some hard cider on tap.

Randy Carris
Cedar Log Brewhouse
CR Beer Nuts Event Coordinator

quinton

Post by quinton »

Is Pectic Enzyme necessary if you are going directly from press to carboy? I didn't think Pectin sets unless you heat to 180 degrees.

Either way, I didn't get any in before starting. It'll still drink, I imagine.
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Two different things: pectin and pectic enzyme. The latter causes pectin to drop out and should reduce haze. I used it in my main batch and did not in my experimental one (which should be darker anyway).

On 09/17/12 10:12, quinton wrote:
Is Pectic Enzyme necessary if you are going directly from press to carboy? I didn't think Pectin sets unless you heat to 180 degrees.

Either way, I didn't get any in before starting. It'll still drink, I imagine.

Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

http://byo.com/stories/wizard/article/s ... er-recipes

Should clear (lol!) some things up for you.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF