American Stout Judging

Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
mjensen52402

Re: American Stout Judging

Post by mjensen52402 »

More importantly, why is food grade drain cleaner a thing? I've never eaten drain food.
whitedj

Post by whitedj »

DrPaulsen wrote:Where can we buy those line cleaners?
Group buy? Maybe split a gallon between interested parties?
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
andrewmaixner

Post by andrewmaixner »

mjensen52402 wrote:More importantly, why is food grade drain cleaner a thing? I've never eaten drain food.
I was being somewhat facetious -- drain cleaner is sodium hydroxide, Lye. For food-related applications, there would be a quality requirement per FDA regs.
kjball

Post by kjball »

Lutefisk anyone?
Bad people drink bad beer. You don't usually see an empty bottle of Rochefort tossed onto the side of the road
TappedOut

Post by TappedOut »

I'm pretty sure cleaning tap lines w/ lutefisk would be counterproductive.
daryl

Post by daryl »

I've not heard about food-grade lutefisk.
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
tony b

Post by tony b »

TappedOut wrote:I'm pretty sure cleaning tap lines w/ lutefisk would be counterproductive.
Best thing you could do with it! :lol:
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Are any of these what you recommend Eric?
http://rapidswholesale.com/beer-supplie ... icals.html
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

Matt F wrote:Are any of these what you recommend Eric?
http://rapidswholesale.com/beer-supplie ... icals.html

The very first one, Draftec. We used to use that but switched to Micro-Matic's cleaner. The base chemical is Sodium Hydroxide with some added surfactants. Every brand has a different "recipe" so to speak. I have found Micro-Matic's cleaner to be my favorite so far, I've gotten stuff out of lines you wouldn't imagine... But it also comes down to concentration. Brewer's Associate recommends a 2% Caustic Solution for line cleaning, which works well in well maintained draft systems. I do 3% which really douches stuff out and help me clean up competitor lines that I have taken that are severely neglected most of time, or just not cleaned well. That Draftec from Rapids will work well in all of your applications at home and the price they have it at, is pretty nice. Something to keep in mind with it, though. You must use 7oz Caustic per gallon of water to achieve a 2% Caustic solution and 11oz of Caustic solution per gallon of water to achieve 3%. So those bottles can go pretty quickly if you clean your lines regularly like your supposed to..

I also use it to clean my brewery with. All my hoses, fittings, kettle's, etc. Works extremely well.
Eric Benda
andrewmaixner

Post by andrewmaixner »

Just for those who may not be aware, NaOH is dangerous. You need protective gear to use it: long sleeves/pants, enclosed shoes, aprons, gloves, eyewear or face shields, and mix it under ventilation, do not breath concentrated fumes.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I have been using that new silver barrier tubing stuff for about a year or so. I don't clean as frequent as I should. When I do clean they don't have any visible build up and cleaning solution still looks clean. My old regular line was gross in no time. I think the fancy beer line I got may actually be effective.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
czubak

Post by czubak »

Matt F wrote:I have been using that new silver barrier tubing stuff for about a year or so. I don't clean as frequent as I should. When I do clean they don't have any visible build up and cleaning solution still looks clean. My old regular line was gross in no time. I think the fancy beer line I got may actually be effective.
I tend to see the same thing Matt, I got that line in the group buy as well and really like it
Chris Zubak
brianhall1024

Post by brianhall1024 »

Is there any interest in possibly doing another group buy for those of us that didn't get in on it the 1st time?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
czubak

Post by czubak »

brianhall1024 wrote:Is there any interest in possibly doing another group buy for those of us that didn't get in on it the 1st time?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I want to say we got it through Joe. If we ever did, I would like to get another 6' piece if I ever add another tap.
Chris Zubak
tony b

Post by tony b »

Yes, we ordered it through Joe, but we had to buy the whole roll, since it was something he didn't normally stock; so, that's why it was a group buy.

I could use another 6 foot piece myself.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West