Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
DrPaulsen

Apple Picking & Cider Pressing

Post by DrPaulsen »

Summary
Time: 3 pm until everyone leaves
When: 15-Sept (next Saturday)
What: Free apples & cider
Where: Lee's House (3601 Otis Rd, SE, Cedar Rapids)

You are all invited out next Saturday (15-Sept) to pick apples and press cider. We're going to start at 3 pm and go until everyone leaves. In addition to all the free apples you want, there is a good chance some of Tim's leftover BBQ will be available from an event he's catering for me the day before. I'll also have a grill and paper plates available if you want to bring some food.

Liberty, Gala, Jonadel, Ozark Gold, Jonamac, and Jonafree are all either ripe right now or will be by next Saturday.

Last year we seemed to average about 3 gallons of cider per bushel of apples, so please plan accordingly and bring your own buckets/containers for the apples. If I recall correctly, a bushel of apples fits in about two 5 gallon buckets, so plan on 1 bucket per 1.5 gallons of soft cider you want. I will have a bin to wash the apples and a press. Rick is going to let us use the Apple Destroyer again to macerate the fruit prior to pressing.

I'm not putting any limits on how many apples you guys can pick and we're not charging anything this year. I do recommend bringing a ladder, if you can, to help reach some of the higher up fruit, since they tend to be nicer. If you think you might be interested in making cider, I suggest you come out because I can't guarantee we'll be able to do this again next year. We're going to cut down half the trees to make room for more disease-resistant varieties, and it will be 5+ years before we get back to this capacity again.

If you're interested in making hard cider, plan on having a fermenter, some wine yeast, and camden tablets (to sulfite the unpasteurized cider). Rick, myself, and about 15 other people in the club can give you more info if you need it. Alternatively, homebrewtalk.com has some good info in their cider forum. If you just want soft cider, I recommend milk jugs. If you leave some head space in the jug, the cider will store very well in the freezer for over a year.

If you plan to attend, please post on this forum so I have a rough idea of what to expect.
tompb

Post by tompb »

I'll be out.
Runamok Brewing

Jesus must have been a yeast. Who else could turn water into wine?
CMLarrison

Post by CMLarrison »

I will be in attendance
quinton

Post by quinton »

I have a access to a pretty big, pretty nifty crusher and press. Is there a need for this?
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

Yes.  Last year our bottleneck was the pressing process.  I've made modifications to the press I have that should allow us to press a lot more at once, but it will still be much slower than Rick's Apple Destroyer.
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM, quinton <brew-members@crbeernuts.org (brew-members@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
I have a access to a pretty big, pretty nifty crusher and press. Is there a need for this?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
CMLarrison

Post by CMLarrison »

I have a press too that I can bring if needed?
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

That's fine with me.  We should have room on my driveway for 3 presses and 2 crushers.
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM, CMLarrison <brew-members@crbeernuts.org (brew-members@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
I have a press too that I can bring if needed?

quinton

Post by quinton »

Great I will be there with my crusher, press and a no fear of picking the low-hanging fruit.
middleTspeer

Post by middleTspeer »

I plan to come out. How tall are the apple trees? Will a 8' step ladder do or would a 12' be better?
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

I've never measured, but I would guess that most of the trees are 15 to 20 feet tall.  We routinely use an 8' step ladder and get a lot of good apples off the trees.

middleTspeer

Post by middleTspeer »

i can bring both as it is not that hard for me to hall them both.
kjball

Post by kjball »

I can bring a pole picker...wait that came out wrong
Bad people drink bad beer. You don't usually see an empty bottle of Rochefort tossed onto the side of the road
TappedOut

Post by TappedOut »

I'll be there. Probably bring the family. Thanks for sharing your apples, Lee.
-Tom
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

I'll be in attendance once more this year. Thanks again Lee!
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

I plan to attend with my wife. Thanks again, Lee, for sharing your apples.

On 09/06/12 23:40, DrPaulsen wrote:
Summary
Time: 3 pm until everyone leaves
When: 15-Sept (next Saturday)
What: Free apples & cider
Where: Lee's House (3601 Otis Rd, SE, Cedar Rapids)

You are all invited out next Saturday (15-Sept) to pick apples and press cider. We're going to start at 3 pm and go until everyone leaves. In addition to all the free apples you want, there is a good chance some of Tim's leftover BBQ will be available from an event he's catering for me the day before. I'll also have a grill and paper plates available if you want to bring some food.

Liberty, Gala, Jonadel, Ozark Gold, Jonamac, and Jonafree are all either ripe right now or will be by next Saturday.

Last year we seemed to average about 3 gallons of cider per bushel of apples, so please plan accordingly and bring your own buckets/containers for the apples. If I recall correctly, a bushel of apples fits in about two 5 gallon buckets, so plan on 1 bucket per 1.5 gallons of soft cider you want. I will have a bin to wash the apples and a press. Rick is going to let us use the Apple Destroyer again to macerate the fruit prior to pressing.

I'm not putting any limits on how many apples you guys can pick and we're not charging anything this year. I do recommend bringing a ladder, if you can, to help reach some of the higher up fruit, since they tend to be nicer. If you think you might be interested in making cider, I suggest you come out because I can't guarantee we'll be able to do this again next year. We're going to cut down half the trees to make room for more disease-resistant varieties, and it will be 5+ years before we get back to this capacity again.

If you're interested in making hard cider, plan on having a fermenter, some wine yeast, and camden tablets (to sulfite the unpasteurized cider). Rick, myself, and about 15 other people in the club can give you more info if you need it. Alternatively, homebrewtalk.com has some good info in their cider forum. If you just want soft cider, I recommend milk jugs. If you leave some head space in the jug, the cider will store very well in the freezer for over a year.

If you plan to attend, please post on this forum so I have a rough idea of what to expect.

Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing