New CR butchers

Smoking and Grilling
Steven P

New CR butchers

Post by Steven P »

Saw this new butcher opening before Halloween this year. They appear to be planning on fresh pork and lamb and selling in the NewBo market.

https://www.facebook.com/BigBoyMeats

There's another one in the old Pohlena's location next to Al's Red Frog.

http://www.villagemeatmarketcafe.com/

They'll be making the bangers for the new Londoner location I hear.

Anyone have reviews? I'll be heading to Village Meat this weekend and see what they have.

It's been a while since I've had any Jaternice (Czech sausage -pronounced "ether-neesh"). I'm not driving to Polasheks's in Protivin for it either. Just look at that ingredients list, snouts and tongue! malted barley flour, awesome!
Attachments
ringjaternice.jpg
(184.27 KiB) Downloaded 4885 times
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
tony b

Post by tony b »

Randy and I have been patrons at Big Boy's since they opened. Owner is super nice and is open to all ideas/suggestions.

Steven, if you haven't been there yet, hang on to your hat, son - heritage pork (kurabuto - the other RED meat!) Pork Bellies, Bone-in Butts, Loins, Full (yes, FULL) 10 - 12 bone racks of baby back ribs, packs of short racks (3 - 4 bones each), St. Louis racks, Chops (bone and boneless). And if you want to make sausage - parts - tongue, heart, etc.! I'm scoping out a pork liver to make a terrine. He wastes as little of the beast as possible.

And then there's the lamb and beef, too!

Had the lamb sirloin chops - excellent!

Yummy beef - nice marbling for choice. He's cutting a 1 1/2 inch thick porterhouse for me to pick up Thursday! I was giving him feedback about the T-bone that I bought thinking it was a good 1+ inch thick, turned out to be 2 steaks, less than 1/2 inch each - standard packaging for them, as it turns out! Told him how hard it was to cook steaks that thin when you're doing it at 800+ degrees F. :shock: Prompted a discussion about grills - he's pretty knowlegeable, except for ceramics. He was blown away that mine got that hot. Hence, the special thick cut steak order. Can't wait to throw that slab o'meat on the grill!!
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

yeah man. I hear you and was there opening day. I bought a turkey from them but have yet to get back there.

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
brownbeard

Post by brownbeard »

I've bought several items from Big Boy meats now, and have been very happy.

Our thanksgiving turkey was excellent, as were the pig neck bones. I got a great deal on the neck bones, came out to $1lb. I think I got that price because I was buying a turkey too. I have uncured bacon, and some ground pork in the freezer.

Try the meat sticks, they are really good.
You can't get with this with a bad hip - Matt
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

Big Boy should be getting the Iowa Swabian Hall pork from http://rustikroosterfarms.com/ at some point. That is what I'm eagerly awaiting.

http://www.swabianhall.com/Swabian_Hall/Welcome.html

Also, I want to smoke and then glaze a pork crown roast. They have un-cut chops as well last time I was there. This is truly going to be a carnivore's Yuletide.

MattF
tony b

Post by tony b »

Sounds like some killer pork there, Dude! Let's just hope it's not outrageously priced!

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

I'd be really interested to hear other people's experience with smokin' these Kurobuta butts (bone in). I've done two now and have really been caught off guard at how fast they cook. The first one was a little over 10lb and was done in 10-11 hours (I did it over night and let it go a touch too long so I don't know exactly). I put an 11+ lb one on at Midnight last night and it was done at 8 am!

I'm guessing it's because these are cut more like slabs. They are wider than they are thick. Is this a good thing or not? Has other's experience been similar?

If you want to come taste it, give me a call. I'm pulling it now.
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
tony b

Post by tony b »

I'll ask on my BBQ forum and see if I get any useful feedback.

Steven P

Post by Steven P »

Just got back from New Bo where I spoke with Nathan. He has the ability to order wicked awesome cuts of pork. I'll be posting the specialty cut PDF when I get a copy.

I'm now thinking about making a prosciutto with a whole bone in fresh Swabian hall ham. Nathan said his has been hanging for about a year and I'm frigging jealous.

I got this nice 4 bone crown roast tonight.
Attachments
Pork crown roast.jpg
(96.61 KiB) Downloaded 4819 times

MattF
JimPotts
Site Admin

New CR butchers

Post by JimPotts »

I picked up some of the spare ribs, today.  If they thaw in time, they'll be going in the egg tomorrow.
-Jim

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
tony b

Post by tony b »

I have 3 mini-racks of Kurobuta St. Louis ribs on the grill as we speak.

The pack looks like a regular rack, but it's really 3 separate pieces - 3-4 bones each. Screamed for a side-by-side treatment of rubs: Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, Billy Bones Competition Blend, and just plain old S&P.

Warning, they are fatty and caused my temps to shoot up from the flare ups. Didn't put in a drip pan (will next time!), only the heat deflector stone for indirect cooking. Grill initially set out at 325F, but flared up to 410F.

Speaking of, time to go check on these bad boys!

UPDATE:

DISASTER!! While they look tasty, (see photos), they were way overcooked, but still had a big fat layer in the middle. This stuff is going to cause me to re-tool my whole regime for cooking pork. :cry:
Attachments
Kurobuta Ribs on grill (small).jpg
(642.57 KiB) Downloaded 4806 times
Kurobuta Ribs (small).jpg
(413.4 KiB) Downloaded 4802 times
Last edited by tony b on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimPotts
Site Admin

New CR butchers

Post by JimPotts »

Mine were freaking fantastic!  Just finished chowing down.
On Dec 2, 2012 5:30 PM, "tony b" <bbq@crbeernuts.org (bbq@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
I have 3 mini-racks of Kurobuta St. Louis ribs on the grill as we speak.

The pack looks like a regular rack, but it's really 3 separate pieces - 3-4 bones each. Screamed for a side-by-side treatment of rubs: Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, Billy Bones Competition Blend, and just plain old S&P.

Warning, they are fatty and caused my temps to shoot up from the flare ups. Didn't put in a drip pan (will next time!), only the heat deflector stone for indirect cooking. Grill initially set out at 325F, but flared up to 410F.

Speaking of, time to go check on these bad boys!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! Ben Franklin

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

I have the PDF of the Rustik Rooster product listing. Size is 6 Megs in a PDF. It's too big to upload to the site but I'll e-mail you a copy if you message me your e-mail address .

Check out the Steamship Ham towards the end, perfect for hanging as prosciutto.

MattF
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

I was less than impressed with the fresh turkey from Big Boy. I suppose if you care about the organic free-range part etc. it's worth the $4/lb. Otherwise I'll stick with a butterball. The taste was unremarkable even after a nice 24 hour brine.

It did cook pretty fast for a 17.5 lb bird though. It was done in 4 hr 40 min at 325f. A standard bird takes about 5.5 hours. I could attribute this to the brine lessening the cook time however.

Maybe next turkey I'll go back to injecting and deep frying for a wickedly good crispy bird.

MattF