January 2014 Tech Meeting

Monthly tech meetings
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

Per prior group decision the next tech meeting topic will be on "Sour" beers. I've prepped a presentation on this topic and am looking to present after the holiday craze is through. The name of the presentation is "Sour and wild beers – A home brewers overview - Belgian and American wild fermented and acid ales"

I'm thinking the first two weeks of January on a weeknight would be proper to get together, review the material and drink some commercial and homemade sours.

My house is not available for hosting (by fiance decree) so I'm looking for volunteers to offer up their house, basement, or garage for this. Oh, and bring your sour beers and some tums.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I will see if I am available to host. Won't know until January though so if someone else wants to host please feel free.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Have we settled on a date and location?
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

We're checking on perhaps using a public space for this meeting. Date is tentatively this coming Wed 1-8-14. Unless someone wants to step up to host in the meantime.
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

The January Tech Meeting will be this coming Wednesday at 101 Gastropub. Start time will be 7 pm.

Steve has put together a really nice set of slides on sour beers. We won't have any sours to taste (unless someone wants to host) but this should be a great discussion on bugs, barrels, & all things sour.
tony b

Post by tony b »

Won't be able to attend the meeting, but I'm interested in feedback on 101 Gastro - beers, food, etc.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I went there for lunch a week ago. I will try again. Nice people, definitely trying to get things figured out. My medium burger was crispy on the outside, dry and no pink at all on the inside. The burger would have been good if it had not been over cooked. Not a single special beer on tap, just standard craft beers and not a great selection at that. Not a line-up chose by a beer geek at all. Had some weird self pour station that I did not look in to very close. They did have Two Hearted though so I was OK. Going to try again after they have been open for a while.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
tony b

Post by tony b »

Little Travis told me about the "self pour" station. You get a barcoded bracelet that you show the reader on the taps and it will let you pour a beer.

Also read that it took special permits for it because of dram shop - no bartender to cut you off after too many.

Just the next gimmick instead of actually being a gastro with great beers and good food.

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

When I was there I also recall it being for Bud Light and a Millstream product. You have to check in with the Bar Tender every 32oz. Personally, I am not digging it.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

I'll be there by 6:15 or so to get something to eat before the meeting if anyone wants to join me.
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing
whitedj

Post by whitedj »

I'll plan on being there around that time, too.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM, carrisr <brew-techmeet@crbeernuts.org (brew-techmeet@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
I'll be there by 6:15 or so to get something to eat before the meeting if anyone wants to join me.

Randy Carris
Cedar Log Brewhouse

CR Beer Nuts President of Vice.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

For what it's worth, they are supposed to be expecting us and may have a table or private room reserved.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM, whitedj <brew-techmeet@crbeernuts.org (brew-techmeet@crbeernuts.org)> wrote:
I'll plan on being there around that time, too.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM, carrisr brew-techmeet@crbeernuts.org (brew-techmeet@crbeernuts.org))> wrote:
: I'll be there by 6:15 or so to get something to eat before the meeting if anyone wants to join me.

Randy Carris
Cedar Log Brewhouse

CR Beer Nuts President of Vice.

The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...

TappedOut

Post by TappedOut »

I'll be there early for food, too.
tony b

Post by tony b »

Soooo, how was it? Details, people, details!

JimPotts
Site Admin

Post by JimPotts »

Anyone?  I was sick last night, and couldn't make it.