Beersmith and Similar Software Packages

Brewing techniques -- how to brew, beginner to advanced, ask it here.
daryl

Beersmith and Similar Software Packages

Post by daryl »

Software packages that are available to create recipes and to keep brewing records:

What do you use?

How and why do you use it?

What are the Pros/Cons - Likes/Dislikes of the SW you use?

What package would you recommend?

Use of SW, such as BeerSmith, seems like a good idea. But I would appreciate hearing of your experiences; good or bad; to help me decide if I should go this route.

Thanks.
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
bf514921

Re: Beersmith and Similar Software Packages

Post by bf514921 »

I personally use beer Smith. For me keeping track of recipients and the calculations for water were really helpful. I also like modeling my system and it did help me really dial things in. Also if u wait until memorial day weekend it runs on sale for 20$. For me I believe it was well worth it. I don't have experience with any other brew software except some spreadsheet based stuff.
Brandon Franklin - The other Franklin
DrPaulsen

Post by DrPaulsen »

Use software - it takes care of so many potential issues that I can't imagine brewing without it. I use Brewer's Friend, which is an online tool. I appreciate the accessibility of a web interface (work PC, home PC, iPad, phone. Etc). The tool makes recipe sharing incredibly easy, which is nice for collaborative recipes. Also, the calculators are top-notch. The tool creators hired Kai Troester (of the German Brewing Techniques wiki) to build better yeast starter and water chemistry models. Finally, they provide a step-by-step brew day itinerary that includes integrated timers. This feature helps me have much more relaxed brewdays.

Like other tools, they offer a free trial. In this case, you get 5 brew sessions for free with no time limit.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Good timing. I have been thinking about some software. Right now I use Promash to make recipes. From there I print a sheet and make notes. Promash is pretty old and does not seem to compare to the newer stuff available.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
whitedj

Post by whitedj »

I have used BREW TARGET - it's a opensource software program that is actually good don't have any complaints other than its not mobile.

I currently use BeerSmith (bought it on sale - memorial day, and I think you can get a free month trial). I would plan on getting the full app on a phone or tablet as the timers are nice, and if you need to change something up (ingredients or quantities) it proves to be nice. It is more powerful in the calculations like 'scaling' bitterness, gravity, etc. than brew target. The major draw back is tweaking ingredient quantities in beer smith is a little painful.

Lee's comment on Brewer's Friend may be worth a look. But definately use some software (there are free versions available at a minimum)
The guy who submitted a barley wine in the Furious competition...
tony b

Post by tony b »

I've only used Beer Smith. It is a powerful tool, and I only use a small portion of what it can do, but I'm using more of the tools all the time. Once you buy it, the upgrades are free. And, you get their email tips and techniques series, too. Met the owner/developer (Brad Smith) at the San Diego NHC. Super nice guy.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
czubak

Post by czubak »

I use beer smith, also have the $8 app. I rarely use the app on brew days, but the week before I am going to brew I usually put that recipe on my cloud so I can tweak it from my ipad of iphone, plus it makes getting ingredients from Joe a bit less painful. Getting recipes from other brewers in whatever style you can think of, scale it to your equipment, etc. I have found it more and more powerful the more I learn about this hobby.

That being said, I have no other experience with other software to compare it to
Chris Zubak
TappedOut

Post by TappedOut »

I wrote a spreadsheet, but that was mostly because I wanted to understand what calculations were going on. I keep my spreadsheets on Google Drive, so I can access them via phone, tablet, or computer, which is super convenient. A very cheap solution if your time is worth nothing. I've got it, and it works, but I'm sure the commercial options are a lot more refined, and not terribly pricey.
fargo41

Post by fargo41 »

I was using brewtoad for the last year and it is pretty nice but web only at the moment (rumors are they are making mobile apps) and now they have locked out some features in their pro section, only a couple of draft recipes allowed before pro. I also feel like brewtoad's IBU calculation are off cause I'd end up with stuff more bitter than I wanted. I recently started playing around with brewer's friend on Lee's suggestion and I'm liking it so far and will probably upgrade to their pro version soon.
Craig
jjbuck

Post by jjbuck »

I usets you Beersmith but I am sure I haven't tapped even half of Its capabilities. I like how BS lets you adjust ABV IBU SMR with the sliders.
John Buck
Brother John's Brewing
The Monk at the Hartley Monastary
daryl

10% Off Brewers Friend....tonight only

Post by daryl »

Posted under News as well...but thought new folks might like to be aware of this Brewing Software Discussion....

From Homebrew Supply Flyer

Thinking about trying Brewer's Friend or up for renewal? Well we have a treat. For the next 24 hours we are having a 10% off deal. Just use code: FLASHBREW

Probably good until 11:59 PM, tonight, October 21, 2016.
In the bucket:
wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

I use Brewer's Friend online. I've been quite happy with it.
Pat McCusker
daryl

Post by daryl »

I have been experimenting with Brewer's Friend.

One of the things that I would like out of a tool, is the ability to take a recipe, enter it, and then manipulate the desired boil or fermentation volume and have the tool update the grain bill to maintain the target ABV and IBU.

I have entered a recipe in Brewers Friend and would like to do this....does this tool have that capability? If so, where does it reside?
In the bucket:
fargo41

Post by fargo41 »

daryl wrote:I have been experimenting with Brewer's Friend.

One of the things that I would like out of a tool, is the ability to take a recipe, enter it, and then manipulate the desired boil or fermentation volume and have the tool update the grain bill to maintain the target ABV and IBU.

I have entered a recipe in Brewers Friend and would like to do this....does this tool have that capability? If so, where does it reside?
Have you looked at the scale recipe tool? it is under the recipe tool drop down, that will let you change the batch size you have set.
Craig
daryl

Post by daryl »

Thanks Craig, I have not...I did some poking around but I could not locate it....and it seems that is what I have been looking for.
In the bucket: