2015 Grain Order

Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
Steven P

2015 Grain Order

Post by Steven P »

Hello Members!

I received the attached PDF pricing list from Quinton a Lion Bridge so we can officially start the grain orders for 2015. Here are the details.

The attachment has pricing for the entire catalog of malts provided to Quin under his deal with BSG Brewcraft and the savings are being passed along to the club. As we did last year this order will be limited to base malts only. Please continue to purchase specialty grains through BIY or your provider of choice. Products from the below maltsters are available.

Castle
Malting Co of Ireland
Patagonia
Crisp
Gambrinus
Weyermann
Weyermann Organic
Simpsons
Schill Malz
Rahr

To read the PDF and determine cost, please note the grain bag weight, and use the next number (<2,000 lbs) to determine base price without shipping.

Example: Castle Pale Ale - Pack Size 55lb and <2000lbs cost is 78 cents per lb. So 55 times .78 = $42.90

I'll figure out the per bag cost of shipping and provide each person with an updated amount once I have that detail.

The club will foot the bill initially for the order and then make arrangements to recoup payment from the members placing orders. Please be prepared to make timely payment at pick up via check, cash, or Dwolla once the order arrives.

Note that you must be paid up on dues to place an order. Cut off for the order will be May 22nd which is the day after the next club meeting.

Things will go much faster this year as Quin puts in grain orders much larger than ours fairly frequently. To keep good will we should be ready to pick up grain as soon as it delivers. This will likely be on a Monday or Tuesday evening. The forum post will be updated as soon as we know a delivery date.

All that said, please place your order below using or full name and include your phone #.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact me directly via PM.
Attachments
2015 BSG-Midwest Pricing.pdf
(123.75 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts Secretary

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
czubak

Re: 2015 Grain Order

Post by czubak »

Have we decided if we are going to do this twice a year yet Steven? If so it might make some throttle back their order some.
Chris Zubak
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

I'm assuming just one at this time.

"Milk does a body good my ass. Beer is the healthier choice and hops are a wonderful medicine."
MattF
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

Twice a year would be nice if we could swing it. I had a buddy buy me a 50# bag of Rahr 2-row at Beer Crazy when he went though Des Moines, but honestly I could probably swing another bag of something (or split one if anyone is interested) through this buy.

If one were to guess, and honestly I won't hold you to it, what shipping would be on a 50 or 55# bag? What would that be ballpark?

Or what has it been in the past?

I am actually very curious because it was $38 for the bag out the door at Beer Crazy. If shipping is $8, say, they make VERY little profit on it...

Thanks,

Fred Spinner
czubak

Post by czubak »

Last edited by czubak on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Zubak
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

Shipping is usually a few dollars a bag. Last year it was around $2.50per

MattF
andrewmaixner

Post by andrewmaixner »

Trying to decide on this. I don't have a crusher, and I've been getting everything bought and crushed at BIY.

Looks like I brewed 90 gallons in 10 months (not counting non-barley-based products), and have a backlog, so I'll call it 90gal/yr. Probably near 200 lb of base malt.
That's a base malt cost over the last year of about $380. bulk-buying 4 bags would cost about 4((55)(0.80)+2.5) = $186

I guess I would have to buy a mill and storage containers , which will probably eat the $200 one-year cost savings.

Any recommendations for a mill and storage bins?
czubak

Post by czubak »

Chris Zubak
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

A trash can with grain bag inside a plastic sack works. I used a big rectangular plastic container from Walmart that held 4 bags of grain for many years. Was a bear to slide in and out from under the counter top when full. Here is a link to some recent discussion including another link to what I use now. Big, air tight dog food containers. Same ones Joe uses at BIY. They show up at Sams in the past during the fall and run a little over $20/each.

http://www.crbeernuts.org/phpBB3/viewto ... f=4&t=3266
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

Andrew, Chris' is probably better than mine (I bet he has a high quality roller mill), but I'd crush for you as well. I use a voile curtain ("bag" with bungee cords holding it on) in my 48 qt cooler and with this filter the cheap-a$$ Amazon Primed "Discount Tommy" popcorn crusher Corona mill mounted in a 5 gallon Menards bucket/lid works just fine for me. Total cost it like $40 to make it. I use a 11mm bolt instead of the hand crank handle and a good cordless screwdriver to run it. Takes about 45 seconds/lb to crush.

I suspect the voile bag is helping me because I can mill very fine and even inconsistently... and it always give me 80%+ efficiency and clean wort. But I think any method would work with the cheap mill if you took time to tweak it.

Fred Spinner
corona1.jpg
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
corona2.jpg
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
corona3.jpg
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

By the way.. For storage, I and the other homebrewers in my department at work (I've tried to talk them into joining... but....) "bit the bullet" for the "fancy" storage solution. $2.97 5 gallon bucket from Wal-Mart (or 3.79 for a slightly thicker one from Menards that is labelled food grade) and the $7 Gamma Seal lid from Menards. (The Gamma seal lids are gasketed and have an inner screw seal lid for easy access.) Times two for a 50# bag. The 50# Rahr 2-row I just got JUST fit in the two buckets. Yes this is $20 for the storage container for one bag.. but I can reuse it FOREVER.

The guys I know have stored grain for over two years and it works fine. Easy access too when you need it.

I'm contemplating one or two other base grains in this order, and yup.. that would be four more of them. Probably still be worth it in the long run.

So, group.. Golden Promise or Maris Otter? ;)

Fred
Last edited by UndeadFred on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
czubak

Post by czubak »

Chris Zubak
TappedOut

Post by TappedOut »

As far as grain mills, this is probably what I would buy http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Kille ... _2310.html now, though I have a Barley Crusher, which is a little pricier. That and a cheap 1/2" corded drill from Harbor Freight and you're good to go. That's my setup anyway. There are enough folks in the club w/ mills that I'm sure if you post on the forum that you want to stop by and use someones, there would be plenty of offers. I'm on the SE side if anyone is looking for a crush.
-Tom
Steven P

Post by Steven P »

I'd like to ask that we keep posts to orders please.

MattF
carrisr
Site Admin

Post by carrisr »

Randy Carris
721-2442

1 bag Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter
1 bag Castle Pilsen 2RS

Note: the Gleneagels says "special order", so if it's a problem to get then I'll take the Crisp Finest Maris Otter instead.
Randy Carris
Randy All the Time Brewing