Brewing a Flanders Red on Sunday the 18th of Sep

Post your brewing habits and times here.
wyzzyrdd

Brewing a Flanders Red on Sunday the 18th of Sep

Post by wyzzyrdd »

I am tentatively planning to start a batch of Flanders Red Ale Sunday afternoon. I will probably start up around 1 pm. I will post later to confirm one way or the other.
Pat McCusker
andrewmaixner

Re: Brewing a Flanders Red on Sunday the 18th of Sep

Post by andrewmaixner »

Cool, is the basic difference that you just mash super high, or use lots of unmalted wheat, for lots of dextrins for the non-sach to eat over the next year of secondary?
In which order and at what times do you add your various organisms?

(Reminds me that I picked up a RR Consecration kit that i need to get going also)
wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

andrewmaixner wrote:Cool, is the basic difference that you just mash super high, or use lots of unmalted wheat, for lots of dextrins for the non-sach to eat over the next year of secondary?

(Reminds me that I picked up a RR Consecration kit that i need to get going also)
The golden ale that I got to turn sour was just Pils, Vienna, and Munich malts with some Belgian candy sugar. I used the Roselare yeast and just waited.

The BJCP info on Flanders Red is: "A base of Vienna and/or Munich malts, light to medium cara-malts, and a small amount of Special B are used with up to 20% maize". I am going with Pale, Vienna, Munich Light, Cara-45, and Special B. No other adjuncts. Should be about 6 1/2 to 7 ABV. I will just pitch Roselare again and see what happens.

I will rack onto some medium toast french oak cubes coming out of the primary.

I plan to start 3 or 4 batches each of Blonde Sour and Flanders Red this fall. I have no problem letting stuff sit around for 3 or 4 years to see what develops. :D
Pat McCusker
daryl

Post by daryl »

Do those need to be lagered (i.e. using Pils, Munich, or Vienna)?

wyzzyrdd wrote:
andrewmaixner wrote:Cool, is the basic difference that you just mash super high, or use lots of unmalted wheat, for lots of dextrins for the non-sach to eat over the next year of secondary?

The golden ale that I got to turn sour was just Pils, Vienna, and Munich malts with some Belgian candy sugar. I used the Roselare yeast and just waited.

The BJCP info on Flanders Red is: "A base of Vienna and/or Munich malts, light to medium cara-malts, and a small amount of Special B are used with up to 20% maize". I am going with Pale, Vienna, Munich Light, Cara-45, and Special B. No other adjuncts. Should be about 6 1/2 to 7 ABV. I will just pitch Roselare again and see what happens.

I will rack onto some medium toast french oak cubes coming out of the primary.

I plan to start 3 or 4 batches each of Blonde Sour and Flanders Red this fall. I have no problem letting stuff sit around for 3 or 4 years to see what develops. :D
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

As far as I know, Lambics, Oud Bruins, and Flanders Red Ales are not lagered.
Pat McCusker
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

wyzzyrdd wrote:As far as I know, Lambics, Oud Bruins, and Flanders Red Ales are not lagered.
Correct. Never heard of a need to lager. You want them warm enough to promote growth and health of the bugs.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I have heard of taking a lager and souring it though. One of New Belgium's main sours for blending in beers starts life as a lager.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout
wyzzyrdd

Post by wyzzyrdd »

Matt F wrote:I have heard of taking a lager and souring it though. One of New Belgium's main sours for blending in beers starts life as a lager.
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

At any rate, I have no intention of lagering. I have shelf space to hold a couple dozen carboys in my cellar. The temperature ranges from 60-62 in late spring (depending on how cold the winter was) to about 70 in late fall. So I can easily age 6 to 8 carboys of sour, but I can't lager that much product.
Pat McCusker
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I am with you. When I make a sour I just want to make a traditional sour ale. Takes more time but I am not in a hurry.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Imperial Stout