Chugger Pump Seizes

Discussions about brewing equipment / design.
daryl

Chugger Pump Seizes

Post by daryl »

I have been using a Chugger Pump to recirculate my direct fire Mash Tun and to transfer wort from the tun to the boil kettle.

The impeller will seize after recirculating 158 mash liquor. I have had to stop, disassemble, clean, reassemble and then put back into service. This happened several times the time I did a Wheat Beer.

I think sugar (and proteins) are getting into the impeller shaft and causing the impeller to freeze. To me the problem begs for a food-grade, high-heat lubricant.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

My current fix, takes less than 5 minutes...it's not horrible, but the pump should work throughout the brew session.

Electrically, the pump is just fine....ie. no overheating and the bearings seizing.
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
andrewmaixner

Re: Chugger Pump Seizes

Post by andrewmaixner »

Interesting.
I recirculate with my Chugger (metal pump head, 1/2" fittings) all the way from 70 up to mash-in temp, throughout the entire mash, and then from 211 down to 70 again after the boil is done. I've only had issues when the input flow gets cut, or too much hop detritus gets into it.
czubak

Post by czubak »

That's very strange. I have never had a pump issue and mine runs pretty much non stop from the time I start heating strike water up to transferring to the fermenter. I bag my hops FWIW
Chris Zubak
daryl

Post by daryl »

This past Sunday, when I took the pump apart, there was no debris in the impeller chamber.

The impeller was a bit sticky when I pushed it along. After a quick rinse, the resistance was much lower and I proceeded with my brew day without any interruptions.
In the bucket:
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Is there a little white washer in there? I found those wear out pretty quick at high temps like when I recirculate boiling wort. I bought a pack of 10 I have been working through for a few years. I am almost through my supply. If that washer is missing you will have the issues you describe. It may have worn out and ended up dumped out with your trub at some point.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
daryl

Post by daryl »

Matt F wrote:Is there a little white washer in there? I found those wear out pretty quick at high temps like when I recirculate boiling wort. I bought a pack of 10 I have been working through for a few years. I am almost through my supply. If that washer is missing you will have the issues you describe. It may have worn out and ended up dumped out with your trub at some point.
I picked this up used, and I do not know how many hours is on this unit....so that is a good point.

Where did you get the washers?
In the bucket:
bf514921

Post by bf514921 »

Google something like chugger rebuild kit, there were 2 nylon washers in mine, I picked up a few re build kits works like a champ

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Brandon Franklin - The other Franklin
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Don't recall where I ordered from. It was not a homebrew shop. It may have been directly from the manufacturer of the March pump. I also got a larger impeller at the time as mine was an old style with a smaller one.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

I can bring some washers to the cabinet meeting tonight. I bought a very large bag of them. I tend to lose them a lot when I disassemble my pump head.
Eric Benda
andrewmaixner

Post by andrewmaixner »

Eric B wrote:I can bring some washers to the cabinet meeting tonight. I bought a very large bag of them. I tend to lose them a lot when I disassemble my pump head.
If you could bring me a few at the meeting this month, I'd greatly appreciate it. I hadn't realized that it was a piece that should be kept on hand
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

andrewmaixner wrote:
Eric B wrote:I can bring some washers to the cabinet meeting tonight. I bought a very large bag of them. I tend to lose them a lot when I disassemble my pump head.
If you could bring me a few at the meeting this month, I'd greatly appreciate it. I hadn't realized that it was a piece that should be kept on hand
If I remember, I certainly will!
Eric Benda
UndeadFred

Post by UndeadFred »

Eric, I should hit you up for a couple of those washers, too before I disappear forever to the desert! Mine has about 15 brews on it and it's already starting to look worn.. Which I am amazed by because it's made of PTFE (Teflon)... Don't know if I will still be around at the next meeting time though. If anything else, where did you buy them?

Fred