N7 Hops- Manchester Iowa

Club members only - Send a Personal Message to moderator for Access
Schwerkraftbrauer

N7 Hops- Manchester Iowa

Post by Schwerkraftbrauer »

Daryl and I met with Scott and Sarah Hermanson of N7 Farms out of Manchester at this month's meeting of the MADCO Brewers. They are a small hop production outfit two years in the business. Currently a one acre farm with 25 more acres to plant. Not quite at the level of production to be selling hops but will be catering to the homebrewer crowd when they do. Currently with four varieties-
Nugget
Magnum
Hallertau
Fuggles
They had free samples of their second season cuttings, mainly nugget and magnum(fuggles and hallertau were a little short on harvest). They are eagar to possibly join one of our festivals to get the word out of their operation and more so, wanting said homebrewers to showcase their hops in one of our beers to show off the flavor profiles.

In discussions we hope to have them at our monthly meeting this July. It sounded like they need to clear freezer space for this coming year- which means a lot of free hops mostly pellitized 4 and 8oz bags. They are very receptive to what the homebrew crowd wants and what we would like to see from a hop producer.

Attachments are the lab results of alpha and beta acids from their varieties this past season.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190704-065335_Word.jpg
(362.29 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Screenshot_20190704-065356_Word.jpg
(361.54 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Screenshot_20190704-065417_Word.jpg
(361.57 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Screenshot_20190704-065436_Word.jpg
(359.89 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Jones County Joel

Grassy Null Brewery
jjpeanasky

Re: N7 Hops- Manchester Iowa

Post by jjpeanasky »

Seems like a really cool opportunity for a SMaSH pale ale or single hop pale bitter. Wish I wasn't moving and I'd totally be down.

- Josh Peanasky
tony b

Post by tony b »

Are they looking for input as to what to grow on the rest of their farm? Not sure what varieties grow in our zone, but it would be great if they could do some of the fruitier varieties. Can't wait to meet them at the July meeting and chat.
A Mighty Wind's A Brewing

“Life is short - break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile” ― Mae West
Schwerkraftbrauer

Post by Schwerkraftbrauer »

tony b wrote:Are they looking for input as to what to grow on the rest of their farm? Not sure what varieties grow in our zone, but it would be great if they could do some of the fruitier varieties. Can't wait to meet them at the July meeting and chat.
Not sure on that, but my perception was that they didn't want to copy what other local growers are already doing. Which might give them an edge if other local people are doing more ipa focused hops, and they stick with more Noble and Old World hop varieties.
Jones County Joel

Grassy Null Brewery
daryl

Post by daryl »

tony b wrote:Are they looking for input as to what to grow on the rest of their farm? Not sure what varieties grow in our zone, but it would be great if they could do some of the fruitier varieties. Can't wait to meet them at the July meeting and chat.
I think they are trying to access their local market potential. At this point they are growing Fuggles, Hallertau, Magnum, and Nugget....all of those pretty useful, at least for my brewing interests. I am sure they would welcome feedback on varieties.

They would also like to know what form (flowers, pellets, etc.) and quantities would you typically buy (1 oz, 2 oz, 1/2 lb, 1 lbs, etc.).
In the Fridge/On Tap: English Bitter, Schwarzbier, Cream Ale
In the keg: Wheat Beer, Russian Imperial Stout
In the bucket:
In the queue: Irish Red, American IPA
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

That could work. The margins are much higher as well as is demand for IPA type hops. At my current job, we recently funded a loan on the largest hop grower in Idaho. Has been operating since the 1940's. They rotated to more of the sexy hops on their 1,200 plus acres with the largest amount dedicated to Citra. They still do some noble too but much less because they are simply less profitable per acre.
Matt Franklin
Slappy Brewing North

On Tap:
American IPA
Strata Hazy IPA
Dr. Lee Orval
American Strong Ale
Friend of the Devil Belgian Golden Strong
Imperial Stout